Please find below a list of useful apps and websites for Junior Infants through to 6th Class
General – Junior Infants to 6th Class
- Twinkl: Great resource for all class levels and covers a wide variety of topics including Irish. Twinkl are also offering parents a one month free trial at the moment to help them with their distant learning journey.
- DK Find Out: Excellent child-friendly search engine that we use for research at school. We choose a lot of topics from this site as it is extremely user friendly and includes an online quiz/assessment at the end of each topic.
- Kiddle: Another child-friendly search engine.
- World Book online: Again, an excellent child-friendly search engine that both classrooms are used to using for research purposes. World Book online has also just made available a collection of e-books (online books) that you will be able to access.
- Libraries Ireland: You can register for free and get access to a variety of e-books and Audio books. www.librariesireland.ie
- As I have previously mentioned, RTÉ is due to start televising a programme called 'School on TV' from 30th March. This will air from 11am to 12pm Monday – Friday and is aimed mainly at 1st - 6th class levels. This would be excellent for children that may not have access to a device every day.
- News2Day: RTÉ player. Keep your children up to date with the world around them. As this news is created especially for children, there are lots of happy stories also.
- Study Ladder and Read Theory: Your children already have accounts with these sites and are familiar with using them. Continue to work from home on these.
Mindfulness and Keeping Active - Junior Infants - 6th Class
- Joe Wicks/The Body Coach: You will find daily PE lessons for children of all ages on his Youtube channel. #PewithJoe
- Go Noodle Games (Youtube): Lots of fun physical activity games for days when the children may not be able to go outdoors.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga (Youtube).
Maths - Junior Infants - 6th Class
- www.topmarks.co.uk: Lots of interactive maths games for all topics for all classes from Junior Infants to 6th class.
- IXL Maths and English Practice: For all classes from Junior Infants to 6th class.
- Tables: The senior room can revise tables by taking tests. www.tablestest.com
Literacy - Phonics for Junior and Senior Infants
- Jolly Phonics App for tablets: Revise all letter sounds, blends and songs.
- www.phonicsplay.co.uk: This is free for parents at the moment and includes interactive phonics games and printable resources.
Literacy - Junior Infants to 6th Class
- Oxford Owl: Another free e-book library available at the moment. www.oxfordowl.co.uk
Literacy - Senior Room
- Free writing: Why not keep a diary about life during the Covid-19 lockdown, similar to that of Anne Frank? I'm sure we will speak about this major event in history for years to come. We can share some of these accounts when we return to school.
Gaeilge – Junior Infants - 6th Class
- Cúla 4 na nÓg: Watch some TV shows as Gaeilge?? (Ambitious? I know!!)
- Cúla4 app for tablets: Vocabulary development and games.
- Search Cúinne na Foglama: Lots of games and activities for different age groups.
- Conradh na Gaeilge (www.cnag.ie): Doodles/Irish posters with new words and phrases.
- Twigín Yoga: Yoga as Gaeilge.
- Senior Room only:
- É-leathanach Gaeilge: Available from Maynooth University. (You will have to provide your email address.) This is something I use with the children every week.
SESE – Junior Infants - 6th Class
Below is a list of websites that your children may be interested in searching:
National Geographic Kids.
- NASA.gov: Information for Junior Infants - 6th class including images from space.
- Dublin Zoo: Find out more about the animals at Dublin zoo (webcams and encyclopedia).
- Scishow Kids: Excellent Youtube channel for kids based on Science and Nature which provides information and experiments e.g. The Great Barrier Reef, Wonderful worms, Pulleys and levers etc.
- Britannica Kids.
- www.museum.ie: Learn about Ireland's Natural History Museum and enjoy a 3D virtual visit.
Typing Games and Activities: Junior Infants - 6th Class
- BBC dancemat typing